Wednesday, October 04, 2006

6000ft to 8900ft



Xterra USA Championship was held in Lake Tahoe, 10/1/06 in Incline Village, NV. I love the feel of the town, the stores, the bike shop, the people, and the church (so peaceful). I would consider making this a place to live in the future.
This year I was representing the mid-atlantic. I improved 30 mins on my time, and yet I danced my legs off at the post race party. Tall tell sign, I did not give it all on my race. Where in Milwaukee, I could barely move my body in any direction. Leaving Tahoe ( and I will miss it), I was a little sore. Soooo...the elevation had influenced my race, yes. But I also think my frame of mind was a bigger influence. I was grinding it out and making some noises on my first climb up to the Flume Trail, took the Flume trail by storm, and then worked around the lake to another climb, where my legs just did not want to climb....or was it my mind? And what kind of pansy am I to hold onto the brakes on the descend of Tunnel Creek? I hate being soo afraid of ........well what is it I am afraid of? Losing control? more the thought of not being able to get on the bike again.
Tahoe represents more than just the Xterra USA Championship, the trip feels similiar to a family reunion. This has been my second year participating in the race, where there is a great connection to all the people who participate as well as run the race. I really enjoy watching the athletes improve and receive the recognition they deserve. The Xterra Tribe who runs the show are truly amazing and so dedicated to each athlete. I love being in the presence of greatness, and at Lake Tahoe this year, everywhere you turn there was greatness.