Monday, July 14, 2008

The Day Before the 70.3

It was a long day on Saturday, the preparation, the check-in, the race briefing, and then to ride around town to drop off the running gear bags at T2 and the bikes in T1 the day prior to the race. There are 2 transition areas for this race. T1 and T2 are 1hr (driving distance) apart.

the long day started off with helping the elderly disabled man across the street(s) as we made our way to the RI convention center. Apparently he does this everyday.... he asks people to "help him across the street". A man drove by and shouted out "Harry, it looks like you did well for yourself Today!". Candy and I got him across the street as he asked.

This is my first "Ironman" event, and very nervous going into it, and really not knowing what to expect from the venue or myself (with all the injuries and mishaps in the past month). But as we got closer to the convention center I see all these athletes driving around with their beautiful tri bikes on the cars and super fit bodies... I felt like I could cut through the "ego-smog" it was soo thick in Providence that day. As we arrived at the Convention Center there was a line (1/4 mile long) to the athlete check in station. We waited from 11:30am to 2pm...If I had known to expect such a wait time , I would have packed some "snacks". I am just glad I waited in line with Patti (athlete from Richmond) to help pass the time, keep placement, and talk about the race. Patti came with this beautiful binded booklet about the race.... she made it herself. I printed out the same pages and mine were all shuffled and crumpled b/c I was scanning them when I was stuck in CT traffic on Friday night. Candy, Andy, and John left us to go have some lunch. Candy and John were not racing. Andy attended the seperate meeting for the professional triathletes.


"Athletes will transition to the bike in the parking lot Roger Wheeler State Beach. Athletes will ride north on State Road 1A through historic Wickford before turning west onto State Road 102. The majority of the bike course encompasses State Road 102 and the quiet, scenic communities of Exeter, West Greenwich, Coventry, North Scituate and Johnston. The bike route finishes in downtown Providence, with the bike-to-run transition located at Waterplace Park."





So this is T1 (Swim to Bike) in Narragansett, RI. We had to drop the bike off the day before the race. The afternoon ocean breeze mixed with the warm sun help keep us somewhat relaxed after running around all day.







We had dropped our running gear bag (red bag not shown) at T2 (in downtown RI) earlier that day.













Andy Noble (racing 70.3 IM for the 1st time, professionally...and also got out of waiting in the 1/4 mile line) hooked me up with a new bike stem, and John (Patti's Husband & racing inthe 100 miler mtn bike series: former XTERRA athlete) brought the bike stand and tool kit to help with a new brake cable. This will be my 3rd time on this tri bike at this race.... I had it since Christmas (obviously, I spend most of my time on the mountain bike). After dropping off the bikes at T1... we headed to Jamestown, RI (my new favorite beach town) to end our day.