Monday, May 18, 2009

Long training runs: one weekend = 36 miles

This year my focus is endurance training. My training focus is "listening to my body".
Last week I did a 60mi bike ride, 10 mile run race, 5k trail run race, and a half lite Ironman tri. after Tuesday night's track workout, I decided everyone was on "my last nerve"...but it really wasn't everyone.. it was me. I needed rest. I was irritable and my resting heart rate was high... 2signs of overtraining. I took Wed- Fri off. My body responded well, and everyone was my best friend again.
But come the weekend and training begins, in full force. up next: San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon: May 31
Saturday I ran with Nicole at Valley Forge for the first 5.5 miles. Nicole had just finished a great accomplishment: The Boston Marathon and is now in recovery phase. I had a head start of a mile and half and after our run together I set out to do run another 7.5 miles on my own. I started to break down a bit on the second run, allergy season, heat, and dehydration all kicked in. So I settled for 14 miles on Saturday.
Sunday Chris and I ran the Lloyd Hall at Philadelphia Museum of Art to Northwestern Ave (Wissahickon) and back= 22 miles
Much cooler, a wet 55 degree start. I brought a jacket because it gets really cool by the Wissahickon creek. Chris brought a water bottle, and I used it much more than he did. Chris is a great training partner. He pushes himself and I trail right behind him trying not to lose sight of him. But I can only wish to keep up with his long legs. My joints were achy and the heal blisters were annoying, but we arent done til we pass the last house on boathouse row. The run is a very scenic route and it reminds me of all the history and culture Philadelphia has to offer us. From the Ellen Phillips Samuel Memorial sculpture gardens to the stone hedges of Wissahickon to the "free high five aheads" sign that did not disappoint, really never a dull moment on this route.
Chris finished 22 miles in 2:59 and I finished it about 3 mins later. Chris was standing there waiting for me with a high five and a smile...and his water bottle :)

How did we reward ourselves with such an accomplishment in training? Bloody Mary's and Brunch at Brigid's in the Art Museum area....yummy!! Then we headed home and basked in the sun and read some books... and of course hung with the Vinster!

This was not the first long training run for 09, and wont be the last. In fact, San Diego is part of my training for Kentucky Ironman. I am soo excited to run this marathon with Felicia, my high school buddy. Of course we used to get into mischievous trouble in high school... and now we are still going strong and running together for the marathon! Chris is running too, and witnessing our ever- withstanding friendship over the years!