Wednesday, March 23, 2011

We lalalove Liana!

Liana Cameris
Have you ever had a Nutbrown Hare moment with your bestfriend, mom, dad, or child on who loves who more? My Philly triathlon friends and I could easily get into a competition when we talk about how much we love Liana, not only because we are athletes, and its only natural to "one up" each other when we get into these types of conversations- but how she has helped us become better athletes and better people! She has a great energy, charisma, and loves to enhance people's lives! She will sign her emails "with ooooodles of love" to all her students. And we'll send back ooooodles of love and gratefulness for her teachings!
Liana has performed her fire arts dancing for our friend's 30th bday; Cliff (fellow lululemon ambassador)& Jessica hosted a candlelight yoga dinner, where Liana led about 20 triathletes in a vinyasa class. A group of triathletes will go to her vinyasa class at Dhyana in Ardmore, and she still remains to be so sweet & patient when it comes to our lack of flexibility among her yogis.
I had become a staple in Liana's intro to Hoola Hoopvinyasa series at Dhyana Yoga in West Philly. This is a beginner class, where we would perform a vinyasa flow to warm up and then take to one of her colorful hoola hoops, that Liana has personally crafted by hand.
She sells the hoops!
This winter I had a shovel injury and this class helped me open up my hip flexors and work on my core and balance. I was not able to bend much nor able to run for 3 weeks. Each wednesday night a group of us would pack into a car and head to the city to have some hoola fun with Liana! She put the tunes on, and we would hoop! She taught us how to correctly hoop and we were in awe of all of her hoop'n moves- thinking "I want to do that some day!" The class is a great outlet as its different than most exercise class or the training I do for marathons & triathlons. It absolutely brought out fond memories of childhood- but as adults, it can bring out our fun "adulthood" (wink, wink ;). The hoop will massage my back muscles on the loops as well as my stomach. We learned to hop into the hoop, hoop over head, switch out arms & reverse direction! Its endless practice & fun- and you do break a sweat! so bring the water! Hoops would fly off and around- but no one ever seemed to get hit by one. Our toes would get a bit abused- if we dropped the hoop on them- yes, we did it in barefeet (its all the rage)! I wish more men came to this class... I think they would learn alot & with Liana as your teacher, its never intimidating.
Wednesday night Hoola Hoop'n at Dhyana Yoga

I have learned some fancy hoop'n & now ready for the next level!
hoopvinyasa:
"a playshop that seamlessly weaves together two magical forms of meditation and joy: hula hoop dance and vinyasa yoga. This practice builds on vinyasa sequences in new ways -- wherein hoops become tools for alignment and self-adjustment for the physical yoga (asana) practice, and the spinning movement of the hoop becomes a way to dive deeper into the meditative focus (dharana).  Vinyasa yoga and hoop dance come together in unique flow, pushing new boundaries and finding balance between stillness and movement, focus and fun. Hoop vinyasa is open to students with experience in either yoga or hoop dance...or both.  Come release your inner child and play with intention!"


Yoga-puncture was my next amazing experience with Liana, and her friend Lina. I had some personally things to sort out at the time- so I was really looking for a bit of healing going into this session. I received that healing after I left the yoga-puncture! Liana led an invigorating vinyasa flow that maximizes our bodies to receive the detoxifying acupuncture that is placed in our ears by Lina. The specific treatment is called NADA www.acudetox.com. So the gist is to release what ever is holding you back from what you want to accomplish. Before the class you are asked... if there was nothing holding you back, what would you want? and how would you see your life with all those amazing dreams coming true? So as we are in shavasanya for 30 mins (?) wrapped in blankets and the needles in our ears... we are asked to "dream". So what happened to me? Lets just say everything that was on my mind, came up to the surface, and then were let go so I could dream of what I wanted for me, healing for my mom, and goals achieved in my life. Physically, I felt it in my stomach area.. and for others who were there in the class, they felt it in their face, hands, and other areas. But what was interesting to me, is that our common ground was these were areas of our bodies where we felt stress.
As I was driving home from this session, my friend called me to see how I was doing, as she knew I was having a rough time at this point. I tried to talk about it, but physically couldn't- my body wouldn't let me mention those problems I had in the beginning of the session... as they were let go at Liana's yoga palace! I explained this to my friend, and then she replied: I need to go to yoga-puncture!

Ok, so if you can see what Liana has done for me personally, you too can see why we love her soo much. But if you ever try one of "those ridiculously delicious cookies Liana's been baking", it would be love at first bite for you! they are gluten- free, vegan and filled with oooooodles of Love!